Tuesday, April 2, 2013

More Pinewood Derby cars - the Zodiac Years

From 1994, I began a series of cars, each representing the current year in the oriental Zodiac. The cycle should begin with the Year of the Rat, but Since it is a cycle, I guess anywhere is fine to begin anywhere.

1994 was the "year of the dog" and as a model, I used my pet beagle, Megumi-hime or just "Meg".

She was pretty old by then and spent a lot of time dreaming, so this car is called "Dreams of Victory".

I put a small spring from a ballpoint pen on the tail and it wags as the car rolls.





1995 was the year of the wild boar (pig).

This is the "Road Hog", bringing home the bacon.

The tail is left-over basketry cane.

The pink paint shows off the graphite so he looks plenty dirty.





1996, Rats! Here comes the big cheese!

The ears are glued on and the tail is on a spring.

Since it tends to get played with when on display, the tail needs a new spring from time to time.






1997 was the year of the ox.

Here is "Babe, the Big Blue ...that's no bull ... Ox.

His head is weighted to bow up and down and attached to a hook in the opening. The ears are leather and the tail braided cord.

He had to be run down the track backwards because his head  came off when he hit the end of the track.
This is made of two car blocks glued together,

"Grrrreat"! was made for the year of the tiger.
1998

The tail fits into a hole on the back end.










"A Hare Ahead" hopped into the hare year, 1999.

The pom-pom of a tail has gotten a bit of hard wear over the years.









The year of the dragon. 2000, got a "Dragster".

This is also made from two blocks glued together.

His horns are tree twigs and get broken off regularly.








2001 was the year of the snake.
This could be a rattle snake because there is a bee-bee in the tail section that rattles at the end of the spring....
But, if you look again, you can tell it is a "Bowline Constrictor"

He was very fast as the other cars moved over and let him by.



You may think this is a zebra but 2002 was the horse year and this is a " horse of a different color".

(Cub colors) of course.

The tail is blue fish-line.
I added half a block for his head.






"Rambo" represented the "year of the sheep", 2003


This was also carved from two blocks glued together.







For 2004, the monkey year, I made "Monkey Business"

These are the three monkeys carved at Nikko,
see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

I think the monkey in front was hiding his eves out of fear.

This was also made with two blocks. The surface was wood-burned to give it texture, hands and faces painted.

The "Feathered flyer" represented 2005, the year of the cock.

By now I guess you can see that I added wood from old kits when I needed height.

I had a bit of trouble coming up with a chicken-like design but when visiting a shrine near my home at the time, I saw a cock with a long colorful and flowing tail and thought that would work.

This little guy was fast too.

As I began with the "Year of the dog" I had planned to finish with the cock year, but by then, my beagle had moved on to dog heaven and we had a new canine daughter.

Unlike Meg, Nikko loves to run and roll and chase sticks. Therefore 2006 I had to make one more dog-year dog.

This is Nikko, "My year, My Way"!

13 years of zodiac cars. The tradition continues.
If you are looking for an idea that looks like a car, don't bother with any more posts as you are unlikely to find one.

I have noticed over the last few years that the Cubs in my pack are also getting very creative. Recently we have begun holding "Rough cut" days where the kids can come and we provide the tools and help so they can cut out their car shapes. I think having a room full of kids working on their own cars helps to cut down on  adult-made products. It is also a help because very few ex-pats arrive in Tokyo with more than a screw-driver.
A post of recent cars will follow.

1 comment: