Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Still more Pinewood Derby cars


After finishing the Zodiac series, I have gone back to puzzling over what to do each year.


Since 2007 was Scouting's anniversary year, I made a car of "B.P.,resting up for 100 more years.










And another view of the same car. The patrol flag is attached to the top of his walking stick.














2008 "Red Arrow"
Modeled after the OA arrowhead, I thought this car would be a lot faster than it was.








2009, another anniversary year for Scouting, I made an American Eagle.

Taking a lesson from the cock car, I tucked the feet underneath.

He got a prize at the District open competition.





2010

"Carpe Diem" is modeled after the carp streamers flown on May 5th for "Boy's Day".









A "Winning Smile" 2011 was not hard to make and it ran quite well.







This " Good Luck Cat" was a winner in 2012.

The right paw raised beckons in good luck and he is holding a lucky coin in the other paw.

This car took first place in the Pack and District competitions.
I guess he was lucky.










This year's car, 2013, was "Very Hungry for Victory"

Unfortunately, he hit a snag the first time down the track and flipped over.
The track had been assembled by our sponsoring organization without a whole lot of understanding about putting the rails together. We could fix some parts with a socket wrench but next run he flipped again and broke a wheel which sailed across the room, hitting the far wall.

He limped to the end of the track and failed to place. This is the first time my car was not even in the running ... much to the joy of my competitors. I rather imagine I will not be allowed to forget this one!.

So, that is my car history. Many of these cars have participated in the BSA National Jamboree over the years, on display in the Boys'Life Whittlers booth. I have been told there will be no Whittling display at this year's Jambo.

They have also appeared on display at both American and Japanese derby races. I am always looking for ideas for next year so if you have any good ideas, please leave me a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Cool cars. I sent this post to friends who still have a cub scout at home. They loved the Hungry Caterpillar car, when I sent them the post about it.

    ReplyDelete