Wednesday, April 18, 2012

In the beginning...

I guess everything has to start somewhere. After putting whittling and Scout stuff on my quilting blog, I have decided to give it a place of its own.


I have always loved everything crafty. Growing up during the depression and war years, the culture was ... if you wanted something, you learned how to make it yourself.


Ordinarily, one does not think of little girls with knives but somehow it all started with a little dog pin. This is not whittling. It was drawn on a piece of plywood with colored pencils, cut out with a jig saw, and varnished. No one would ever be impressed... But ... as a very unsuccessful child, it was a reminder of one thing I had made that was successful, I could take it out and hold it in my hands, I didn't even have to wear it, and say to myself, "I made this".


A groove was cut on the back and a pin was glued there. Written below is the date. This pin was made in the summer of 1944, months before my 8th birthday.

I do not remember all the details but I do remember an elderly gentleman in the neighborhood cutting it out for me on his jig saw. To me, it was a reminder of my success and the beginning of something that has shaped my entire life.

Though I do not remember the name of that man, I hope I thanked him, because I will spend the rest of my life paying it forward. The lesson here is ... Success breeds success!

In one tiny corner of my childhood, I had a small reminder of success that I could hold in my hand, the first building block in a future of wood carving, not to sell or gain recognition, but to share with others ... and possibly pass on to the next generation.

As a Scouter for many years, I hope I can pass on a few ideas others might use and share the joys Scouting has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment