Thursday, April 26, 2012

The whittler joins Boy Scouts

My years as a Scout ended early, in Junior high, when the leader of our troop quit. I still remember the day when it happened. We had begged parents and teachers and members of our sponsoring organization. In those days, all we needed was one adult, but none would sign on. I still remember walking home that afternoon on the day that would have been our meeting, promising to myself that as long as there was a kid out there who wanted Scouting, I would do my best to see he or she got it.

It is not surprising, then, that during 16 years with Girl Scouts ... even without a troop I was asked to help with day camps and other activities through Jr. and Sr. HS and college ... and went through the program with all four of my own girls until they were no longer interested ... I found myself sitting with my eldest son in a Cub scout meeting and volunteered to be a leader.


One of our first challenges was the pinewood derby. The kits in those days were much like today's except that the block was cut with a lower part in the middle. I have little memory of how my son arrived at a plan for a shoe but it seems that somewhere along the way, another family member said, "hey, that looks like a shoe" and he grabbed the idea and ran.

My strongest memory of the race was not how his car did, it may have gotten a design prize because his next two cars went for design rather than car-looking models. We had registered his car and were sitting waiting for the race to begin and along side was another Cub who kept looking toward the door. Suddenly, he jumped up saying, "Dad! Dad! You got the car"? "Yeah, I got the car"!, was the reply. "Can I see it"? "Yeah, but don't touch"!

Oh foolish me, I had thought that the pinewood derby was a chance for a kid to take a block of wood and turn it into a car and have fun racing it.  At that point, there was little I could do about it. The Pack was run by guys with only a few female Den leaders. There was even a limit as to which Dens those few could lead ... not Webelos and not the Pack. But, I filed this bit of information away for a later date and when I finally had some say in the workings of the Pack, we began an "Open competition" The dads could make their own cars and race each other ... and ME. We have also gone to a "rough-cut day" where boys can get help cutting their cars into shapes of their own choosing. We also help them adjust the weight.

One boy brought in his "car" that was just the block of wood colored with marking pens. I told him it could use a bit more weight and helped him adjust it. That car won as fastest in the Pack, and you know what?, the mother was mad because she wanted to hold it to the father for not helping with the car! The boy was pleased because he had made the car all by himself.


In the days my sons joined Cub Scouts, there were just three years in the program. Third grade, wolf, forth grade, Bear and fifth grade,Webelo. These cars were made by my first son ... Super Sneaker, Power Pencil, and Speed-Ball.

My second son began with a "real car shape", the white one with flames painted on the sides. When it didn't get any prize, he opted out for the alligator in his Bear year and the "Pinewood Paddler" in his Webelo year. (the cub in the canoe was cut out of balsa and has broken many times). The Cobra was his Troop patrol and he entered the first open competition as a Den Chief. (In case you are wondering, he was born an artist and ended up attending Rhode Island School of Design).

By that time, though women were still not allowed to be Cubmasters, they could be assistant leaders and my husband took over the top slot until women were legal. Open competition became great fun for parents and leaders and siblings and father-made super cars are racing me and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment